Our Level Artist will bring ideas to life, collaborating closely with our Designers and teams to build environment elements and assets into our game. Bringing fresh ideas and a love for creating highly immersive experiences, you’ll have an opportunity to create dynamic artwork, improve processes, and help our team explore new technologies and systems that enable efficiency and creativity.
We are a brand new studio working with a renowned publisher, Devolver Digital on an unannounced new IP. Beans is an eclectic and diverse team, honouring openness and free expression across our team and in the games we’ll imagine. We are creative-first with a flat structure and believe amazing ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. Our founders have worked with some of the best AAA game developers in the world, bringing experience and passion to Bean’s growth, but have left the bureaucracy at the door. Our office is located in the west end of Toronto and we offer competitive salaries, flexible hours, health benefits, unlimited PTO, a relaxed atmosphere and spectacular cookies.
What your Day Might Look Like
- Collaborating with level designers and the art director to discuss and understand game intentions and vision;
- Performing artistic research (find written descriptions and visual references);
- Setting up placeholders and submitting modelling and texturing requests to artists, while also following up on the progress and quality of the work with the Art Director;
- Ensuring integrated work is aligned with the artistic direction and supports a seamless and logical gameplay;
- Assessing level content with the Art Director and establishing time and planning estimates by priority and level;
- Participating in R&D, problem solving artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Optimizing and debugging the game levels.
Skills You’ll Bring To Beans
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in modelling, texture, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience;
- Experience in an art role on 1-3 game production cycles.
- Motivated self starter who can execute with limited supervision
- Strong storytelling and observation skills;
- Knowledge of optimization techniques;
- Basic gameplay and level design knowledge;
- Knowledge of ways to create atmospheres (lighting, artistic composition, etc.).
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with Blender
- Experience with Houdini
- Experience with low-poly, stylized art direction