We are a new studio working with a renowned publisher, Devolver Digital on an unannounced new IP. Beans is an eclectic and diverse team, honouring openness and free expression across our team and in the games we’ll imagine. We are creative-first with a flat structure and believe amazing ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. Our founders have worked with some of the best AAA game developers in the world, bringing experience and passion to Bean’s growth, but have left the bureaucracy at the door. Our office is located in the west end of Toronto and we offer competitive salaries, flexible hours, health benefits, unlimited PTO, a relaxed atmosphere and spectacular cookies.
Our Lead Game Designer’s Impact
Beans is looking for a Lead Game Designer to join an established team. You (yes, you!) have an excellent eye for planning, detailing and supervising the work of other game designers while setting the bar on design, documentation, and tools. You have an innate and constantly evolving ability to understand game feel. You can pick up a controller, interact with a feature and know what the best solutions are from a player perspective, then implement those solutions via scripting, blueprints, or tuning. Most of all, you’ve supported a Creative Designer/Director in the creation and development of a company’s game design vision.
What your Day Might Look Like
- Lead and mentor a close-knit team of designers in creating, improving and tuning features to create engaging player experiences
- Getting your hands dirty, working with our designers and engineers and work in our game through feature and gameplay design
- Establish and maintain a game’s core vision
- Spearhead new features from concept to final gameplay implementation
- Track record and ability to effectively evaluate and iterate on game features and systems to improve gameplay and retention
- Communicate and set project objectives, strategies and general info to all designers for the development of our games.
- Rapidly prototype gameplay mechanics
- Supervise and motivate other designers in best practices, processes and procedures pertaining to production.
- Provide ongoing feedback through one-on-one meetings with peers and leads.
Skills You’ll Bring To Beans
- You have 4+ years experience as a professional game designer, with at least 1 year as in a senior role (leading others, ownership over feature design, etc.)
- You have had impact as a game designer early in the design process, working with stakeholders to define the overarching experience of the game
- You have worked design on first person games in the past
- You have a great understanding of designing emotion through gameplay and what incentivises player behaviour
- You are enthusiastic about game design processes and methodology
- You are experienced working in an agile development environment
- Impeccable communication skills and ability to work effectively with others
- Familiarity with Unreal is a bonus