The (Intermediate to Senior) Programmer at Beans will be instrumental in the delivery of our first-person action adventure video game, toggling between bringing the game’s vision to life and executing clean and robust code that helps solve challenging problems around performance, scalability, and optimization. You’ll have an opportunity to help guide technology decisions, and explore new systems and processes that enable innovation.
We are a brand new studio working with a renowned publisher, Devolver Digital on an unannounced new IP. Beans is an eclectic and diverse team, honouring openness and free expression across our team and in the games we’ll imagine. We are creative-first with a flat structure and believe amazing ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. Our founders have worked with some of the best AAA game developers in the world, bringing experience and passion to Bean’s growth, but have left the bureaucracy at the door. Our office is located in the west end of Toronto and we offer competitive salaries, flexible hours, health benefits, unlimited PTO, a relaxed atmosphere and spectacular cookies.
What your Day Might Look Like
- Building gameplay features and tools within Unreal Engine 4
- Collaborating with art, design, and other engineers to develop and support key systems
- Contributing to technical design discussions and writing simple, maintainable software
- Resolving bugs and technical challenges that may arise
Skills You’ll Bring To Beans
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant experience
- 5 years of experience in C++ and/or at least one shipped title
- Familiar with industry best practices to optimize code
- Experience in gameplay, AI, and design
- A natural curiosity for all aspects of game development and a willingness to work on a wide variety of systems.
- Motivated self starter who can execute with limited supervision
- Experience as part of a team that has shipped a video game; must have shipped a minimum of 1 or more titles
-Experience developing for video-game consoles is preferred
- Experience working with Unreal 4
- Familiarity with Data-Oriented Design principles and the ECS architecture
- Experience with dynamic AI systems such as GOAP, HTN, and Utility Systems
- Animation systems programming